The start of Belden Machine Corporation as we know it today dates back to 1939 when Leo Sainati, with his brothers, established Precision Tool and Manufacturing Company as a contractor to the U.S. defense department.
Following World War II in 1947, Precision Tool and Manufacturing manufactured a number of products including precision boring heads, gauge quality "V" blocks and universal joints.
These products were met with immediate market approval. To satisfy the growing demand for their products, Precision Tool and Manufacturing implemented a number of high production manufacturing techniques, including multiple spindle drilling and tapping.
During the late 1940's and early 1950's, manufactures of multiple spindle machines concentrated their sales efforts on large manufacturing accounts, neglecting the smaller manufacturing shops. Realizing the benefits that multiple spindle drilling and tapping machines could have for a smaller shop, Precision Tool and manufacturing designed and built a smaller more economical machine in 1959. At this time, the company name was changed to The Deka Drill Corporation.
Throughout the 1960's annual sales of the Deka Drill multiple spindle drilling and tapping machines averaged 150 to 180 units per year. With each successive year of profitability the Deka Drill Corporation received numerous offers of acquisition. In 1967, the company was sold, and the Sainati's looked forward to an early retirement.
However, the Sainati's were not satisfied with retirement and in 1970 formed Belden Tools Incorporated. At first this company began producing machine tool grade universal joints, drilling and tapping spindles and tooling for multiple spindle drilling machines.
In 1982, Belden introduced their first multiple spindle drilling machine, the T-1000. Eventually, the Belden machine line was expanded to include four sizes of standard multiple spindle drilling machines. This allowed the company to not only provide the universal joints, spindles and tooling, but to also provide completely tooled turnkey packages to their customers. Due to the market changes during this time and the elimination of tool rooms in many companies, Belden delivered 85% of their new machines as completely tooled turnkey packages.
In 1990, Belden began to design and build special linear and rotary transfer machines. These machines were custom design and built for a specific application. They were provided as completely tooled systems, some were stand alone machines while others were automated to operate in un-manned production lines.
During 1993, Belden sought other industries and applications to utilize its multiple spindle machine building expertise. Belden developed a line of multiple spindle diamond abrasive bore finishing machines. These single pass, diamond abrasive bore finishing machines replaced many conventional honing machines.
In 1994 Belden Tools Incorporated evolved into a machine tool builder and a manufacturer of universal joints and power transmission products. It became apparent that the business plans, goals and objectives of each operation, though similar, were in fact different. For both product lines to reach their full potentials Belden Tools Inc. was separated into two companies.
The machine division of Belden Tools Inc. became what is today Belden Machine Corporation.
With the guidance of the company's founder, Leo Sainati, Belden Machine Corporation maintains its commitment to building quality machines as it has for the past 69 years. The company is focused on utilizing the latest technologies in the designing and building of multiple spindle machine tool systems.